Saturday, March 12, 2011

A 'Royal' Issue: Negative Body Image




It's hard to miss all the news surrounding Prince William and Kate Middleton's upcoming nuptials---if you bought magazines this past week to pass time while traveling to your Spring Break destinations, then you probably saw Kate on many covers (I must admit I bought a 'People' magazine  with her on the cover for my flight).  

However, the Royal Wedding isn't the only subject in which the future princess is making headlines-- a Huffington Post article draws attention to Kate's recent rapid weight loss, investigating possible health consequences for the 'already thin' princess.  Some articles argue that Kate's weight loss could hurt more people than just Kate; Kate's celebrity status poses further health implications and risks, as much of the public looks up to her and her decisions.  CBS recently posted an article titled, "Kate Middleton:  Is the Slim Bride-to-be Sending Girls the Wrong Message?"  

I think these articles bring up some interesting issues to consider/reflect upon.  For instance, I think CBS offers a valid point and problem; many young girls look up to Kate and might try to emulate her weight loss in spite of its health implications.  Whether celebrities want to be role models or not, the fact of the matter is that many people look up to celebs and are influenced by their decisions.  I notice I can sometimes slip into negative thinking in regards to my own body image after seeing super thin celebrities lose more and more weight.  But one thing that pulls me out of such negative thinking is when I look at the before/after pictures of the celebs.  To me, Kate Middleton has always been beautiful--and personally I think she looked healthiest before she lost weight.  And bottom line, being healthy is far more important than being super thin-- healthy, happy people exude an undeniable beauty and strength.



Just came across those articles and thought they were interesting--this was my personal reflection, I'd love to hear your reactions too- feel free to comment!

XOXO, Mayfield 1

No comments:

Post a Comment